Thursday, March 20, 2003

If I were a Dentist, What a Difference I Would Make

In the world today, dentists are well respected because the general public relies on them to take care of their teeth. If I were a dentist, I would make sure my dental services were never needed.

Allow me to explain. Everyone is aware of a dentist’s job description: filling painful cavities, lecturing on the importance of flossing, and scaring the feces out of children. Basically, a dentist’s job only exists because people are unaware of the value of taking care of their own set of teeth. As a dentist, I would go from door to door, as a sort of dental evangelist, to share my testimony on how far a bit of brushing and flossing goes. My pearly-white smile would soon appear in local newspapers, as more and more people would thank me because they no longer had to visit a dentist office every six months. After visiting every house in the city, I would begin raising funds to go to major cities as a dental missionary. While standing before sell-out crowds at baseball stadiums all over the country, I would explain to non-brushers and non-flossers of all faces how two minutes each day could bring huge dividends to their teeth in the long run. Before long, I would no doubt have enough recognition and support to receive air-time on national television, where I would display a few select pictures of rotten teeth that would send even the bravest of dentists running to their toothbrushes. Next, I would establish a dental hygiene interest group. This organization would be non-profit, of course, but I would accept donations to continue advocating my cause. Once I received enough recognition, I would begin planning for the next presidential campaign. My motto? The famous dental piece of advice: you don’t have to brush your teeth – just the ones you want to keep. I would run as an independent in the election, sharing my personal story on how I care for people enough to sacrifice my college education, time, and career to let people know how to take care of their teeth. People would see my genuineness and see how perfect I would be as a leader of this great country. After moving into the White House, I would propose initiatives to Congress to bring dental hygiene to an all-time high. Then, after a fourth straight year as Time magazine’s “man of the year,” I would retire at the age of forty-five with the satisfaction of ridding the United States of the necessity of dentistry.

Throughout my life, I have visited the dentist office countless times, only to leave the building with the same phrases resounding in my head: “brush your teeth for at least two minutes each morning and night” or “you have to come back in two weeks because of your cavities” or “do you even know what floss is?” If I become a dentist in the future, my only career goal would be to make sure my career no longer exists.


tell me what you think..any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home