Tuesday, June 17, 2003

mmk here's the big ALASKA post. brace yourself. this one's a marathon.

june 6
woke up at 8, and before i knew what was happening, the doorbell rang. my mom opened the door and jane was standing there with a shoebox. she handed it to me and told me to only open it once each day. i had no idea what she was talking about, but she told me i'd understand later. she had to go, so after saying goodbye, i finished my last minute packing, and by 11, my family was at the airport. my cousin's family was already at the terminal waiting for us, and then we boarded the plane. i must say continental airlines has gotten a whole lot better in recent years. but anyways, the plane ride took 7 hours, and i was sitting next to my cousin, amy. that girl is a sleeping MACHINE. she must have slept at least 5 hours, and the only time she was awake was to eat and watch the onboard movie "A Guy Thing" (which wasn't too bad of a movie). spent most of the time playing solitaire and watching tv. oh and i also watched innocently as my sister and my younger cousin, christina, would stuff pieces of plastic into jason's mouth whenever he fell asleep. haha it was quite amusing. anyways i musta listened to various Christian cd's for 7 hours non-stop, cuz by the time i got off the plane, my ears were hurting from having my earphones plugged in for so long. after getting our luggage, each family rented a car from hertz. my family got an explorer, but in a strange brown-gold color. we packed into the 2 cars and spent the next 45 minutes cruising around anchorage, alaska, in search of residence inn. the most memorable part of the trip was when i saw a random sign that read "STOP! YOU NEED A HAIRCUT!" and indeed, i did (and still do now). i havent cut my hair since prom, but it's all good. but anyhoo, we finally got the hotel in time to watch the end of game 2 of the NBA finals, which the nets won. we then headed over to applebee's for dinner and ended the night chilling in the pool/jacuzzi at the hotel.

june 7
had a nice FREE breakfast at the hotel, followed by a quick work-out in the exercise room. then i had to pack up all my belongings while watching the movie "Enough" (kinda bad movie, but i guess it was decent). finally got my phone to work after my mom called cingular a couple of times, but then it was time to get on the road. jennifer decided to ride in the other car, so it was just me and my brother in the explorer. we decided to play war (the most simplest of all card games ever invented; it's ALL LUCK!) but for some reason, i can never beat him. we stopped for a quick hike at meltugh creek. the nxt stop was at beluga point (which is weird cuz when i was smaller, "balooga" was me and my brother's code word for whenever my parents were coming upstairs), where we climbed some 100-150 feet to the top of this mountain. took a bunch of pictures at the peak (pictures will be updated by my brother at a later time since my digital camera is broken). next was lunch at some small restaurant which also had a computer in the corner! 10 cents a minute for dsl seemed like a pretty good deal, so i took it. after lunch, we stopped by the Begich-Boggs visitor center and looked at some glaciers. iono what happened after that, cuz i fell asleep for 3 hours in the car. when i woke up, i was alone in the backseat. turns out the rest of the crew had started shopping without me! those traitors..but, yeah, i bought a t-shirt, keychain, and a mood ring in some gift shop. then i got to play with some dogs at this place where we signed up to go dog-sledding. after that, we had a nice dinner at this restaurant called Apollo, which served all sorts of food. i then moved all my stuff into the hotel room and spent the rest of the night checking my messages, talking on the phone, playing VC, hold 'em poker, and yet again, war. fun stuff.

blah. my mom is making me go to sleep now cuz i hafta go to UT orientation early tomorrow morning. but i guess this is an ok stopping point..day 3 is when i actually get on the cruise, so i'll continue this post later. i guess i'll go pack now..again..ugh. more good news..the AC is broken. greeaaatt..

(oh, and the tributes will resume later as well..sorry...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home