Wednesday, January 31, 2007

“how’s work?”

Lo and behold, the million dollar question.

Or perhaps more pertinent to your sense of curiosity, “What do you actually do all day?”

Well all that praying had paid off because today both of these mind-boggling questions will be answered with tremendous detail, and with pictures to boot.

Work is good.

Okay I’ll elaborate a bit. Don’t mind the cliché, but the past two weeks in Monroe, Louisiana as a KPMG intern have been a great experience. I’ve learned how to interact and work with different people with different personalities and different expectations. I’ve been able to talk to my coworkers about everything ranging from Tony Romo to Jesus Christ. It really is going to be bittersweet leaving here after this week.

So what is it that I do..? In the words of Hitch, nobody knows what I do -- that’s why I get to charge them so much. But in a nutshell, I do whatever they need me to do. I’ve taken a mini road trip to deliver a laptop, made copies, shredded papers, edited work documents, you name it.

Before I begin a short picture blog of a “typical day,” I feel the need to clarify what I’m doing here. I am an audit intern with KPMG, which is one of the Big Four accounting firms, and as an auditor, I never visit the “office” in Austin. Basically everyone is assigned to an “engagement,” which is just a fancier way to say “project.” So right now, I have been assigned to the CenturyTel engagement, which explains why I am sitting at a desk in the audit room in the CenturyTel building in Monroe, Louisiana. Tada!

But without further ado, here is a visual representation of a typical day here. I would call it a liveblog, but it’s not. Anyone ever seen that movie, “Being John Malcovich,” or something like that? Yeah, this is sorta like that. Except you can’t control me.

More or less, right now my life consists of working, eating, and sleeping. I set my alarm for 6:30am, snooze for 20 minutes, then shower and leave the hotel room by ten past seven.

I don’t have a car here, so I carpool with a coworker everyday. Can you carpool without a car? Maybe I’m just jacking a ride to work everyday, that’s probably more correct.

So here is my view from the passenger seat every morning.


We arrive at CenturyTel at approximately 7:28. It’s an outdoor parking lot, so I cherish those few ounces of sunlight as I scurry into the building. For serious, that’s all the sun I get.


I’m supposed to stop at the front desk everyday to get a visitor sticker, but I decided to go covert op style and dodge them for the three weeks that I’m here.

This is the audit room, where I reside for the majority of the day.


More specifically, this is my spot. Sweet landscape, huh?


Like I said, work/eat/sleep. Lunch takes place in this cafeteria downstairs. The food is actually quite delicious, but I seem to be one of the few who believe this. I look forward to lunch every morning.


I work until 7 or 8pm, then a few of us usually go out to eat somewhere as a team. Firm policy is that whenever 3 or more employees eat together, the most senior person picks up the tab. Let me just say this. It’s a good thing we’re accountants and good with numbers because with some of the bills we get at restaurants, you’d think they got the decimal in the wrong spot.

Yesterday we went to Tokyo’s for David’s birthday. David’s the other Asian guy there. Everyone say “happy birthday” to David. Good.


After dinner, it’s about 9 or 10pm – time to return to the hotel to, you guessed it, sleep. I’m not sure why I require 2 beds, but whatever.


So that’s a day in the life of Jonathan Mok in Monroe, Louisiana. Hope it was as time-consuming for you to read as it was for me to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home