Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless!"
- Ecclesiastes 1:2
Gideon talked about this passage on Sunday, and it's really got me thinking. True, sometimes the processes we go through just seem repetitive because it resembles one endless, inevitable cycle. You go to school to get your degree to get the job to get the security to get married to get the family to get the house to raise the kids to go to school..

Is that it?

If that is all you are living for, then yes. That's it. It is meaningless. If that's all God wanted us to do here on this earth, then that's pretty freaking weak. God's got so much more in store for us. Is it wrong to have all those things? No, it isn't, but they should not be our end goal, in my opinion.

I was talking to Peter about this, and he said we all have to get rid of this bolted-down idea in our minds that "full-time ministry" is the holiest and most glorious option available. In essence, our entire lives should be our "full-time ministry," right?

It bothers me when people are too idealistic in their thinking, but I'm rather sure Ecclesiastes chapter 1 was not meant to turn the world apathetic and cynical. I mean, if everyone just thought "to hey with it, it's all meaningless anyways" and quit their jobs, where would that leave us? Is nobody "called" to the working world, then? I hope that sounds as absurd to you as it does to me because in my mind, you can send as many missionaries to far-off countries as you want, but there's a reason thousands of missionaries are sent here every year, and it sure ain't all because of the people living on the streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home