Monday, January 08, 2007

in all seriousness

It’s been a week since Urbana ended, and I know I kinda promised Fara a somewhat serious/spiritual post every once in a while, so here it is. This isn’t the official post-Urbana article, so if you’re browsing for that, I apologize.

On the first night, Jim Tebbe offered an illustration with a bible and a cell phone, with the former representing God’s will and the latter repping our world. I personally thought he was just going for some dramatic effect with the view of thousands of cell phones lit up all around the arena.

A couple days later, I accidentally left my cell phone in the hotel room, and I was without it for the entire day. It was then that I started to think more about what he had said that evening.

I realized that, yes, in many different ways, my cell phone did represent my world. It was my way of connecting with people. But the more time that passed that day, the more I felt a sense of guilt in the fact that somewhere along the way, I had forgotten to seize the moment.

Things like evangelizing had become convenient. There were countless times where I know that the opportunities to share my faith were obviously present, but after a few moments of hesitation and rationalizing, I put it off each and every time. And the reason was always the same. I could do it later.

But soon enough, the “laters” turned into “nevers,” and inevitably, the timing was never again as perfect as it had first seemed to be.

So in this unofficial post-Urbana post, let me just say that those few days in St. Louis have convicted me to forget all the excuses and just seize the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home